Merlyn was the first of the human immortals, and he passed the secrets of immortality to his five disciples, who became known as 'Enlightened' Immortals, who predated all successive generations of immortals.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
They cannot be killed by conventional means and can heal from almost all kinds of physical injuries, including beheading (does not apply to False Immortals). There is an apparent limit to this as it would be impossible to survive complete physical annihilation, mainly because then there would be nothing for the destroyed body to regenerate and reform to. However this is only theoretical as such limitations have yet to be explored in the RP. In most cases when an immortal is injured, they can regenerate from it (time require for full regeneration depends on severity of injury) and if parts of the body have been mutilated or removed, they are supernaturally linked to the immortal and will return and reattach, assuming their not physically constrained from doing so (doesn't apply to those who procured the power through non-supernatural means). Where such salvaging is not possible the body substitutes the permanently lost body part by regenerating a new one in its place, but this takes considerably long depending on what is being regenerated. It appears that immortals can repair/regenerate even a destroyed brain, though the effect this has on memory and cognitive functions is unknown. Presumably, recovery from beheading would involve reconnecting the brain stem to the spinal cord, leaving the actual brain intact. When partially destroyed such as through bullet shots, recovery does take longer than most other wounds. It is unknown what would happen if the complete brain were destroyed.
An extrasensory function seemingly innate within all immortals, it allows them to sense and track down other immortals as well as being able to percieve other supernatural phenomena such as seeing spirits or being able to detect the presence of tistes.
The sense can allow for a limited form of telepathy where immortals are able to send others messages or memories to other nearby immortals. It can also allow for telepathic exchange between themselves and other supernatural creatures, though it seems the initial connection must be established by the said creature first.
It is known that the sense gives immortals a degree of 'awareness' which seems to be exhibited by acute intuition though they cannot know something they have no knowledge of.
Other abilities Edit
Along with physical immortality and being imbued with a special sixth sense, it is possible for immortals to possess other kinds of powers not part of the default two mention above. This is often dependant on process that gave the human immortality in the first place which in some cases could afford for additional abilities, or if the human already had powers before obtaining immortality. Non-superpowered skills like swordsmanship, marksmanship, martial arts, etc are independent from stemming out of immortality.
Types of Human ImmortalsEdit
- Enlightened Immortals- The oldest and most elusive of all human immortals. Also known as the Ancient Ones. All five are believed to still exist and they are strict adherents of Symbolum Immortales. They tend to adopt the roles of philosophers and historians.
- Immortals- The general population of immortals, there is no clear consensus on their total population due to their elusive nature but at least 30 are known to exist. They can be found across all continents of the earth, although demographically the majority of them seem to decend from Europe or Asia.
False Immortality - A weaker form of the power where the user is seemingly immortal, though can be permanently via beheading or complete physical obliteration, unlike actual immortals who can survive that.
The earliest records of such immortals goes all the way back to medieval Europe where a handful of alchemists would summon a Hora or in some cases a Hybrida, and try to bargain to immortality. At some point between the mid 1600s and early 1700s the Tiste stopped sharing the secret of true immortality with humans and instead offered them a 'lighter' alternative.
In the modern day, the few new immortals born pertain to this type of immortality.
Immortals are encouraged to follow the Symbolum Immortales.
- Pain: While most immortals have had they're fair share of experience with pain and can therefore build up a high level of tolerance towards pain, they're nervous system is still biologically human and there is always a limit to the degree of pain they can withstand before they start genuinely suffering. If a signifigant impact of pain is induced the immortal can lose consciousness and depending on the severity of the attack they can simply pass out from a few minutes, to hours or even days or slip into a long term coma where despite having healed the shock remains.
- Relinquishment: Certain immortals can temporarily relinquish their immortality, typically 'loaning' it to another person for up to 10 months during which the original immortal's memories of the various time periods they have lived through are desynchronized and instead they retain only their set of memories relevant to their current time period, sometimes backed with a set of false memories to fill in any holes. While the process is normally voluntary, anti-immortals or 'nullifiers' have the ability to forcibly relinquish an immortal of their ability for up to 10 months. The exact idiosyncrasies of relinquishment is not fully known currently.
- Metaphysical Transmutation-First seen used by the Scarred Man, it is a form of dark alchemy that can 'absorb' the essence of other immortals, therefore releasing their spirits from their bodies. In theory it is more efficient than the now obsolete Original Method as the process only takes seconds to complete however its success depends on the attacker's own personal knowledge of the art along with their own spiritual strength compared to the victim's. Both mortals and immortals can learn this method, though it can only work on other immortals. In theory since this method is an spiritual-alchemic reaction it should also be reversible and has the potential application of transferring your own essence to an outside party, or even being able to impart your memories and knowledge onto another, possibly even mortals or animals if utilized with only a partial transmutation of thought. Claude Anatole is the only character seen stripped of their immortality on screen using this method.
- Spirit Weaponry- All immortals are susceptible to spirit based weaponry such as that of the Tiste, though the effects vary across indivdual cases. Some can sustain multiple strikes before succumbing to death, others can be permanently damaged in some way (e.g. scars which won't heal, lost limbs which won't return) but not killed.
- Anti-healing Factor - Prolonged exposure heavy doses of anti-healing factor chemicals can disable an immortal's ability to heal wounds. If combined with lethal toxins (such as mercury) it can potentially result in the death of the immortal. However they are too expensive to manufacture at a large scale and continuous exposure to the same type can build up innate resistance.
Known Human ImmortalsEdit
|Name||Years Active and Status||Type|
|(1498- Present, Alive)||Contract with Tiste Hora|
|(1988-Present, Active)||Scientifically induced advanced healing factor, unknown, possibly false immortality||Valérie Maurice Cresson||
|Madeline Nelson||(1788-1920, Deceased)||Unknown|
|Maria von Theresa||(1488- 1600, Deceased)||Unknown|
|Yasuyuki Kita||(1520-1865, Deceased)||Unknown|
|Merlyn||(Antiquity-Present, Disappeared)||Ancient Immortal|
|Bennett Williamson||(1453-1984, Deceased)||Unknown|
|Maria de LeMont||(1598-1756, Deceased)||Unknown|
|Patricio Ramone Fernandez||(1374-????, Missing)||
- Benvenuto Cellini (1500- Present, Active)
- John T. Greene (1795-Present, Comatose)
- The subject is often one of the common source of argument between Roleplayers Jariri and Rynagria. Often arguing about the nature or ideas about Immortals. More or less, both "RPers" are the leading contributors to the subject. Another matter is that, both "RPers" tend to leave one in the dark when editing the page, prime example is the change of the title of "False" Immortals as this title was never accepted by Jariri.