The world of the series has many words that do not appear it the standard dictionary or are used differently than normal. Such words are jargon are to be listed here, this is the dictionary of "Jargon."
- Abhuman - A term used by the Order to describe anyone with metahuman abilities. The term seems to carry a negative connotation to some and may be decline as it seems to see less use in books after Book One: Dark Times. (Can be compared to offensive racial slurs in the Real World.)
- Altered Human- Altered Humans were other wise normal until exposure to a mysterious substance, mystic charm, or annomoly changed their genetic structure in such a fashion as to grant them inhuman powers.
- Angels (Tiste Longa) - Angelic beings said to be detached of emotion that aid the work of Jrova and humanity.
- Counter-patriot - A term for someone who worked against The Order but was not a former member of the Party. (rarely used)
- Demons (Tiste Hora) - Angel-like bringers of destruction and chaos that serve Hrova and to less extent Mer.
- Evangelines - Gynoids originating in the Eve Project.
- Gynoid - Female Counterpart to Android.
- Horan - Of or pertaining to the Tiste Hora.
- Jel/Jal- The Jelist savior of humanity.
- Metahuman - An alternate term for abhuman that deals with lineage in divine origin. It also is one of the more generic term for Supers in the time of the Re-Birth of Nations and Countries.
- Mutant - An abhuman whose power's were not inherited from a family member or was the first in the family to express an abhuman power.
- Patriot (with capital "P") - A member of the Patriot Corps.
- Sanctioned - Abhumans that the Order processed to be used against other abhumans.
- Shadows- After the near destruction of Cold Harbor, with Shadows summoned by Benvenuto Cellini among the causes of high civilian casualties, the term shadow was coined. Often used by the survivors of Cold Harbor as a description or comparison to a currently dangerous super.
- Super Soldier - Specially selected Peace Sentinels in the Order, who were experimented on to boost their abilities to their peak, to the point where they can match some "abhumans." They were meant to be a cheaper alternative to the androids.
- Vampires - The spawn of soul addicted Tiste Hora and mortals. They still drink blood but have an array of divine powers.